9/18/09

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!

Today was also my first day of being an au pair all by myself!

It wasn't really a typical day, so Monday will really be my true test. I got the girls up and ready for school just fine. Youngest didn't have school today, but I still had to get him ready because he and The Mum were going on a grocery run after dropping the girls off. It was up to me to take off his nappy (diaper) that he just wears to bed and get him into some clothes. I quite successfully cornered him and put him in a pair of knickers (undies), but then had to chase him around the 2nd floor and try to wrestle him into a t-shirt. It was quite like scenes you've seen in movies where a nanny or babysitter has tried to dress an unruly toddler. He then ran into his parents' (both of which were home this morning) room, where I don't really want to venture. The Dad took pity on me and offered to get him dressed. After The Mum left, I quickly did some laundry, ironing and sweeping and the day was mine!

I spent it taking a walk to the High Street to buy some cleanser, yummy English chocolate and a couple of second-hand books at an Oxfam shop. Instead of large department-style second hand stores like Value Village and Goodwill, I've only seen quite small shops. And they all seem to be run by a charity, and mostly by volunteers. There are shops for children's hospices, cancer research, and as I mentioned, Oxfam. Hungary has decided that she will volunteer on the weekends for an Oxfam shop, it will help her learn English!

I spent the rest of the day reading and trying to figure out how to get my suitcase released from customs. No luck with that yet, but I have a couple more ideas about who I can call for help on Monday.

Tomorrow, The Mum and The Dad are going to The Mum's sister's 50th birthday party, so I will be at home with the kiddies!

P.S. Oh yeah-- The Dad almost got me a car today, a vintage mini!! But the gearbox or some doohicky was broken. Soooo disappointing. It was so cute!

3 comments:

Dad said...

Way to go kiddo!! Sounds like you are getting the hang of English living.
We like reading your updates.

Anonymous said...

The car is like the 3-wheeled one in Mr. Bean. His eternal parking lot- enemies mobile of evil. Beautiful business, that car.
A koodos to Oxfam- they were the ones who pressured Starbucks to move to Fairtrade, and helped with the big agreement between the government of Ethiopia and Starbucks. Nice.
Go Sarah-Au-Pair-Ah, GO!

redhaireddesigner said...

sounds like everything is going sooo great. and good luck with the suitcase. that is the worst!