9/26/09

Au Pairs-Upon-Avon

Good morrow, my friends! Tonight, I return to Birmingham from the birthplace of William Shakespeare, Stratford-Upon-Avon. Hungary and I left very early this morning to get there at a reasonable hour.

We saw the house where the Bard was born…
… and the house and gardens where he spent his last days and eventually died (Nash House/New Place), along with the house of his daughter and her doctor husband (Hall's Croft)…


… and the church where he was buried (Holy Trinity)…


… and saw all these sweet old graves stones with awesome engraved lettering …


…(Hungary thought it was a bit creepy that I sat down beside a gravestone)…

We had time to check out this awesome brass rubbings place, a 'Festival of Food' and do some window shopping…

… and I even saw a few of my countrymen (the geese)!


All in all, It was a great day! The sun was shining and it got very warm at one point. We didn't get to see a couple of things, but Stratford-Upon-Avon is close enough that we can go back soon to see a play by the Royal Shakespeare Company and take a long walk to Anne Hathaway (Shakespeare's wife, not the Hollywood actress)'s cottage. And maybe next time, I can drive! The Dad found me a car today: a silver 1999 Renault Clio!


Tomorrow, I will have my first UK driving lesson!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

gr-EAT entry! Wicked gravestones! I think it would be sweet-ass awesome to have a collection of amazing gravestones in one's backyard of their home. Like super ballin' ones. And you can go and picnic with dead people and imagine their lives. So fun.
And your leather jacket- a good buy. Hip hip!

redhaireddesigner said...

awwww...ive been to so many of those places in the pictures. i wish i could have gone with you. you're trip looks amazing and i'm glad you had a such a great time!!!

ps. your car is suuuper cute. can't wait to hear how the driving lessons will go. i'm sure you'll be a pro.