9/11/09

Well… it's Sept 11th again

So, I was helping The Mum do the grocery shopping at Sainsbury's with Youngest this morning and in the middle of checking out, this announcement came over the P.A.: "Please join us for a moment of silence in memory of those who died and lost loved ones due to the attacks on 9/11."
I had completely forgotten what September 11th meant. Oops. Being an ardent pacifist, I sometimes think of war and 'terrorist attacks' with a callous attitude… 'well, if it hadn't been for that darned war… I'm just against all this violence!…' But when I listen to the words that I heard today, about people losing their lives and loved ones, I am softened just a bit. I don't really know what my point is… maybe I just realized a little more today that all these bad things that happen in the world aren't the result of Pinky-and-the-Brain-minded conquerors who want to 'take over the world'. The attacks of 9/11 were in part due to the pain felt by a people who had also lost lives and loved ones. I'm not excusing their multi-faceted strike, but maybe just trying to humanize it a bit.

A couple of guys who can explain my attitude towards war MUCH better than I can are Shane Claiborne and Chris Haw. Check out their book 'Jesus for President'. They reiterate so well that God is never in support of the violence that happens in our world, but in Jesus, he forgives it.

Tomorrow is Youngest's birthday party! There is going to be a bouncy castle, pass the parcel and so many British sweets, you wouldn't believe! Stay tuned for that!

Cheerio!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are settling in! We really enjoy reading your updates. I started hockey tonight. Kinda rough going the first night. Look forward to your next update.
Dad