9/13/09

A Day of My Own

Today is Sunday. *sigh* A day of rest all to myself. Today, the current au pair went to visit her boyfriend and he grandparents, so I was left to my own devices. As mentioned previously, I decided to check out this church, Oasis, that meets in a cricket ground. Almost immediately, a friendly man came over to introduce himself and welcome me! Soon after, another woman introduced herself and then a few people that are closer to my age. I've already collected a few phone numbers! I am so encouraged by the people I met today! I will make friends after all :P

The message was really good, too! They are in the middle of a series about Community, based on 1 Corinthians 15, today it was verses 20-23. (By the way, they say 'one Corinthians' instead of 'first Corinthians'… it threw me off the first few times I heard it.) The speaker talked about Jesus' resurrection and the hope it brings for our future, the new lives we will be given. I especially liked how the speaker talked about heaven. He said that often we have this big long list of things we need to see before we die… things that are just awesome and so amazing. He reminded the congregation that the amazing sites we can experience in this world are part of a decaying world and that the new earth that will come when heaven comes to earth will be infinitely more spectacular… especially because in the new earth, we'll be able to chill with God.

After church, I took a nice long walk to King's Heath, the neighborhood next to ours. The neighborhoods in England are all organized around their own 'high street', so in each little community, there is a street with essential shops, like a grocery, a chemists (pharmacy), etc. This is a great way for a city to be built! Even in areas that are quite suburban, you are only a short walk from the shops. King's Heath's High St. is really long! It has a library, a Blockbuster, some pound shops and tons of others! About half of them were closed today (since it is Sunday), but I would like to go back during the week.

When I was out, I had lunch in a 'Wetherspoons', which is a chain of pubs. I had a delicious meal of roast pork, Yorkshire pudding, potatoes, veg, and these yummy stuffing ball things with a pint of Foster's for only 6 pounds! It was such a bargain! It was a little awkward to eat alone… so I called my friend Stefa, who goes to med school in London. I haven't spoken to her in months! We've decided that in a few weeks, when we've both settled into our schedules, that we will arrange a few visits to see eachother!

Anyways, the current au pair told me that this week I will have to step up and take control this week! I'd better step it up! I think it must look to The Mum and The Dad that I've only come to Birmingham to check out the city, travel and make friends. The Mum said to me something like 'Well, at least you're doing well on the meeting people front.' I'm not sure she meant is as it sounded, but still… *pulling collar away from neck awkwardly* bahaha…

1 comment:

Lorna said...

Hi Sarah,
Met your dad in the hockey rink (where else?) and he told me about your blog. I think this is the best way to see the world and experience different cultures.In fact my mom came to Canada in 1958 as a nanny for a very rich family. She met my dad,(not from a rich family lol) stayed and built a life here, her adopted country.
Julie is just back from 6 months in Dublin. She said the first few weeks were pretty hard and she missed home more than she thought possible, but as you meet more people and plan European adventures with them you will find yourself settling in. Best of luck to you.
Oh, if you don't have skype, it saved us tons of $$ talking to Julie while overseas.