10/4/09

Whirlwind of a Weekend!

Man, I'm behind on my posts! I didn't post on Friday because… well, there was actually nothing to post about, except maybe just to say that I did nothing. Seriously, after I did some cleaning, all I did was go for a run, read and nap. And then later in the evening I watched another chick flick with The Dad. This time, it was the 'Sex and the City' movie. He giggled so much, especially when Charlotte said to Big: "I curse the day you were born."

Yesterday was a FULL day. This weekend marks the 10th birthday for Oasis Church. So, they had a whole slew of events to celebrate. Yesterday, they spent the day serving the city. One thing they did to serve was to hold a free car wash, so that's what I helped out with. I stood holding a sign int he wind for a couple hours. It was great to see the looks on our customers' faces as they pulled into the parking lot to get a wash. Even people who didn't stop were very friendly, waving and laughing as they drove by.

After I helped at the car wash, I did a little shopping at the Bull Ring. Just a word of advice: if you ever happen to go shopping at the Bull Ring in Birmingham, DON'T go on a Saturday. It was crazy!! I'm just glad I went by myself, because I would have lost any friends I was shopping with. I took a look in a few stores that we don't have in Canada. One of my favourites was Republic. I ended up buying a few sweaters, a skirt and a couple white vest tops (tank tops).

Later in the evening, Hungary came with me to Oasis' Ceilidh. I was expecting some buffet food and maybe a DJ, but it was MUCH better than that! There was a delicious meal catered by the cricket club! Then, there was a live band playing traditional Celtic music. The best part was that we learned a bunch of traditional dances. I don't know what kind of dancing you would call it, but it was a little bit like what you'd see in a period film based on one of Jane Austen's novels. Except, for much more casual, since none of us knew what we were doing. I really enjoyed myself! As Hungary said to me as we were leaving "I wish they had one every Saturday!" If you ever get the chance to go to a Ceilidh, do it!!!

As a continuation of the weekend, today after church, there was a yummy potluck meal! I got to try a few more English foods, like pork pie and Banoffee Pie (banana and toffee pie). After the meal, there was 'Oasis's Got Talent', which was a riot. The weekend continues with a pub quiz after the evening service. I'm not sure I'll make it out tonight, I'm beat!!!

No comments: