10/12/09

Thankful I was able to pull it off!

Today is Thanksgiving at home in Canada! So, I made a Thanksgiving dinner for the England family! I've never cooked so much in one day! We had pumpkin pie…

I made a crust from scratch. I didn't have a pie pan, but this cake pan worked just fine.


The filling was easy, too. I found pumpkin puree in one of the nicer grocery stores and it happened to be 'made in Canada'!


I had too much filling for one pie, so I made two. They turned out to be very delicious, just like my Mom's pie!

I made my favourite veggies too! I roasted beets and parsnips in some oil and oregano.


One my favourite Thanksgiving foods that one of my aunts always makes is this yummy turnip. I didn't have a recipe, but it turned out just fine! I boiled a turnip (for hours) and mashed it with butter and some nutmeg.

I made delicious homemade stuffing, too!

I didn't make a turkey (too much meat for just the 6 of us), but I made a nice roast chicken!



I'm pretty proud that I made this whole meal by myself. I've never done that much cooking in one day. The Mum and Dad really enjoyed my meal! They especially liked the stuffing and the pie!

Thanksgiving isn't just for yummy food, though. It's a day set aside to give thanks for what we have. I mean, really, we should thank God every day for the blessings he's given us, but I guess this is just an extra-special day of thanks. I'm definitely thankful for A LOT lately. I'm thankful for my friends and family back home who are doing such a great job of keeping in touch. I'm thankful for my new friends here who are helping me settle in. I am thankful for the family here who has welcomed me into their home!

Anyways, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!



3 comments:

Tom|Collver said...

AMEN!!!! Happy Thanksgiving, Sarah. The food looks amazing. Way to represent ;)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations,you prepared an amazing feast! Where have you been hiding your culinary talent all of this time ? I am especially impressed with your pie crust as it can be one of the more trickier items to prepare and successfully bake. I've never worried about you going hungry, but it nice to know that you can now prepare a small banquet Love Mom

Dad said...

So you know what I'll be expecting when you come home for Christmas!!