1/28/10

A Film Preview and Something I Said I'd Never Do

Tonight, The Mum gave me her free tickets to a sneak preview of 'The Lovely Bones'. As you may recall, I had read the book that the movie is based on back in the fall. I had 2 tickets, but I couldn't find anyone to go with me last minute, so I went by myself. I think that may be a first for me.


http://www.imdb.com/media/rm714771968/tt0380510

 The film was great! The score was phenomenal; it captured the emotion and tension in every scene perfectly. The special effects were incredible. There are a series of dream-like scenes depicting the 'in-between', the place where Suzie, the main character, is stuck before she goes to heaven and those scenes are just magical. I especially liked the effect of one scene when Suzie is first walking through a cornfield and it gradually turns into water around her. The acting is pretty good, too. Stanley Tucci was so creepy and believable as the murderer and if I didn't know it was him before going into the movie, I might not have guessed. His mannerisms and voice are completely different from anything I've seen him in. Also, the art direction is amazing! All of the sets and costumes really made me feel like I was looking at a suburban neighborhood in the 1970's.

However, as I have read the book, the plot just wasn't up to snuff with the rest of the film. I found the events in the film disjointed and disconnected. Although the scenes blended together visually, it was hard for me to link the different scenes together plot-wise. I also did NOT like the narration, which jsut seemed like some 13-year-old girl's contrived poetry in her diary. It was worse than the stuff I wrote as an adolescent… but maybe that's what they were going for. The should have used more direct quotes from Alison Sebold's novel. There was one plot-point that I liked better in the film than in the book. I wont ruin it for those of you who are planning on seeing the film, but I'll just say that it happens near the end at the sink-hole

But, when 'The Lovely Bones' is released in your area, I strongly suggest going to see it! It's beautiful!

…also, I have an AWFUL confession to make. I now have a Twitter account. Eugh. It's just like Ugg boots and Facebook. I swore against it at first, but I have given in. But just like giving in to Ugg boots and Facebook, my reasons for finally getting Twitter are practical and useful. (Ugg boots keep my feet warm and dry in the winter and facebook keeps me connected to people). Twitter will help me to increase my social media prowess and to learn more about marketing and networking tools. So, when I finally get a real job in the design world, I will have a better idea about how these tools work and how any future clients can use them… atleast that's my excuse!

…you can now find me at www.twitter.com/saintpatterson

…i am actually embarrassed…

2 comments:

Tom|Collver said...

you should be embarrassed. Shame... I will never be communicating with you on this :P

p.s. - thanks for the Valentine :)

sarahtp said...

You're welcome! Wow, that got to Canada fast!

…yeah… I am embarrassed to tweet. eugh