12/18/09

From far and wide, Oh Canada!

I'm home for a white Christmas!

Everyone in my house is asleep right now. I am still a bit jet-lagged, so I got up really early. The only thing on TV this early is '18 Kids and Counting'. I am actually really enjoying it. I do think it is a bit crazy to have 18 children and still want more, but this family works! They are all really loving and patient with each other and they take care of each other, too. They all know how to share and listen and they all value each other so much. The parents, Jim-Bob and Michelle, really make an effort to spend one-on-one time with each kid and they teach them how to be polite and considerate of other people. But it must be expensive!

I left the house in Moseley at around 13:00 on Tuesday and took a taxi to New Street Station. I was pretty early for my train, but I thought it was much better than missing my train and potentially my flight. The train was SLOW! When I went a few weeks ago to see Stef, I took a more direct train and it was only an hour, but this ride was over 2 hours long! I arrived at Euston Station in London, only to drag my massive suitcase onto the tube to get to the airport. All together, the trip took about 4 hours. By the time I got through customs and had a bite to eat, there was only about 1/2 an hour until my flight boarded. When I got to my seat, I was sitting by the window with an empty seat beside me. I was getting ready to stretch out, when just before the seat-belt light came on, my seat-buddy arrived. He was pretty cool to chat to. His name was Brian and he has a PhD in Archaeology, focusing on ancient civilization in Southern Africa. He was born in Michigan, so he was heading back there for Christmas. We had fun talking about all the English stuff that we don't have/do in North America. The flight was so long! My bum was aching from sitting for so long and my eyes were burning from staring at my movie screen. I watched '500 Days of Summer' (highly recommended to me by Laura and it did not disappoint) and 'Funny People'. Both good films. Sleep was futile, as was reading with my sore eyes, so by the time we were in the air over New Brunswick, I was uncomfortable and ready to land! Plus, I was/am congested and headachy!

My Mom, Dad and Brother met me at the airport and greeted me with hugs! I am so glad to be home!

No comments: