12/5/09

The Claret and Blue



This afternoon, I was fortunate enough to attend a real Premier League football match! Bill got Aussie and I some tickets to go along with him.

The energy was unbelievable! I couldn't believe the size of the crowd that was filing into the stadium! There turned out to be over 32,000 people in attendance and, honestly, it sounded like it! The fans were chanting, cheering and singing throughout the game. Not only did they react to every pass with cheers of approval or sighs of disappointment, they even have cheers written that everyone seems to know. The one I heard most frequently from the Aston Villa fans went to the tune of 'Que Sera'…

John Carew, Carew,
He's bigger than me and you,
He's gonna score one or two,
John Carew, Carew…

But the visiting fans were even more vocal! They lost by 3 goals, but they were singing and dancing right up to the end of the match. They came all the way from Hull in East Yorkshire, so you know they're die-hard. Canadian hockey fans do not even compare.

And because I love my dedicated readers, I decided to record some parts of the game to share my afternoon with you! Enjoy:


No comments: