12/22/09

Family Christmas Traditions!

Do you have any Christmas traditions that you take part in every year? In the Patterson household we have quite a few traditions. My Dad makes toffee from his secret family recipe, Mom's got her gingerbread and sugar cookies and my brother and I decorate the Christmas tree and set up the nativity scene.


One tradition that is as old as I am happens on our annual trek to the local park. We get bundled up in our warmest winter wear and head out to Fairy Lake Park to see the outdoor Christmas pageant that is put on by the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-day Saints. We sit high up on these wooden bleachers to watch the events unfold: Mary and Joseph arrive at the inn and settle in the nearby stable, the shepherds are visited by the angels and make the journey to see the Holy child and the wise men arrive to bestow their gifts upon Mary and Jesus. My favourite parts of the pageant are the old choral hymns and the big-voice-man narration that haven't changed since the first time I heard them! I am also a huge fan of the llama and donkey that are key performers in this Christmas play. In recent years, different organizations in the town have sponsored a 'Festival of Lights', which is actually a series of displays of Christmas lights. It's a nice addition, I think.



What traditions do you have in your family?

No comments: