11/28/09

In London

Hello world!




Yesterday, I hopped aboard a train to London to visit my good friend: Stefania! We visited the Natural History Museum (which is absolutely free to visit!) We saw an awesome exhibit about whales. They have this room with a life-size blue whale and a whole bunch of whale skeletons! I couldn't believe how massive they were! We also saw a pretty cool dinosaur exhibit, with a pretty alive-looking Tyrannosaurus-Rex. It was a bit frightening, but also awesome.

Afterwards, I got a tour of Stef's flat and she made some delicious moussaka for dinner. I also met a fellow med student of hers who actually did her undergrad in Toronto and knows my friend Melody! Of course, we shared our meal with Stef's lovely sister, Tina as well. And last, but not least, I met Stefa's wonderful boyfriend, Spyro! For all of Stef's friends at home: Spyro has a great sense of humour and he takes very good care of our Stef! You will love him (so, start making plans for a visit so you can meet him, too!)

We went to a house party hosted by one of Stef's doctor friends and I met everyone she goes to school with (including some Cambridge grads, oh la la!) There were quite a few Canadians at the party! I met a few Vancouverites and a young lady from Hamilton. It was a little more exciting to me than it should have been because they are the first Canadians I have seen (besides Stef) in a few months! Stef and I put ourselves in charge of the music and were soon playing everything from 'Pump Up the Jam' to 'Jump Around' to 'Sweet Child of Mine'.

Unfortunately, I locked myself in the loo at one point and had to lean out the window to yell at the smokers to send someone to rescue me. It was pretty embarrassing.

This morning, we slept in fairly late and then took a stroll around the V&A! We saw their photography gallery and a fabulous exhibit about live performance. My favourite part was a large wall of screen-printed posters advertising everything from a 'Sex Pistols' tour to a Victorian-era theatre company's upcoming shows. We spent some time in the shop, but didn't buy anything. I think museum shops have some of the most interesting things ever. There were so many awesome books about design and fashion and so many beautiful christmas ornaments, pieces of art nouveau-style jewellery and OMG the POSTERS!

We had a lovely pub lunch with Tina and Spyro and then, unfortunately, it was time for me to head back to Brum.

Dear Stefani: I had a wonderful time! Thank you so much for having me. See you soon, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah! Couldn't have made a better summary of our adventures myself! (haha, I almost forgot about how you locked yourself in the loo :)
It was so great to have you! Both Tina and Spyro were glad to have seen you too! We definitely need to do it again soon, but in the meantime, I hope you have a crazy-amazing-fabu Christmas in Canada, and please hug everyone for me!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx L,
Steffa