11/22/09

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

So… dinner is lunch over here. I know that some people refer to lunch as dinner at home, too, mostly farmers and their families, but it's still confusing.

Anyways, Oasis Church organized a great event today that I thought was just great? How great? Mind-bogglingly great. The premise: some church-members signed up to host Sunday Dinners and others signed up to be guests. (Obviously, I signed up to be a guest.) So, my friends Bill, Aussie and I ended up at Bob's house with a few other people, all in our early-to-mid twenties. It was really great to sit down and chat to some new people! They had a bit of a laugh with me when we first sat down to eat. As I made some comment or other, one of the guys said "Oh, I like your American accent!" I probably had a horrified look on my face, as everyone burst into laughter (they knew I was Canadian and the previous 'compliment' about my accent was meant to be a joke).

After our yummy dinner of pizza, salad and garlic bread, we played a fantastic boardgame: 'Articulate'. The premise (I didn't mean to use the word 'premise' twice in one post, but I couldn't think of another word that was appropriate in this situation) of the game is similar to Hasbro's 'Taboo': describe the word on your card in such a way that your teammates will be able to guess what it is! We had so much fun playing 'Articulate'! We laughed a lot when we couldn't describe certain words that seemed obvious, or when we had no idea how to describe the people and things on our cards. It was a great way to just laugh with and get to know some new people.

So, here's to Bob and his hospitality! Thanks for having me over for dinner!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you know well how much I appreciate your clarifying "How much/many" all the time. You can never know, really. And now we know. Thank you. And again, thank YOU.