3/11/10

More Canals than Venice!

Hiya! So, I went on a little run in the park yesterday and I decided to go a bit further than normal. I turned left at one of my usual right-turns and soon found myself jogging along one of Birmingham's many canals. I don't think that this particular canal is used for water transport these days, but Birmingham is home to over 100 miles of navigable canals that are still in use! Birmingham actually has more canals than Venice, believe it or not! The canals were first built during the Industrial Revolution in the 1700's and were used mainly for transporting raw materials and manufactured goods in and out of the city. This transport of good was essential for local industrialists like Josiah Wedgewood and Matthew Boulton.
Image: http://home.clara.net/rod.beavon/bham.htm

Although the canal I ran along was overgrown with moss, hidden away and a little smelly, many of Birmingham's canals are well-kept attractions. In fact, many of the main canals run through the city centre. I remember seeing restaurant-boats floating by as I ate dinner in Brindley place with Aussie in the autumn. Hmmm… maybe I'll have to visit the canal system to take a closer look!

No comments: