9/6/10

When the Weather is Inclement

Today was not sunny. I was very thankful that today was a holiday, because when I got out of bed and looked out the window… I was happy to stay in my pj's for a bit longer.
 
It was the perfect day for rainy day things. First, I made oatmeal cookies with my Mom. We are supposed to be cutting back on sweets, so adding some fibrous oatmeal was our compromise. And then we added some chocolate chips!

Then, we watched 'An Education'. It is a coming-of-age film about a sixteen-year-old girl who becomes involved in a romantic relationship with an older man. 'An Education' is set in the early 1960's, so the film is full of beautiful period costumes, hairdos and makeup. I'd seen the trailers for this film when it was first released and I had assumed that the moral of the story would be that the lessons we learn from the 'school of life' trump any benefits our formal education can offer. It turns out that it's a bit more complicated than that. I really enjoyed this film and I highly recommend it!

After our movie, we had a very rainy-day meal for lunch. We all wanted something nice and creamy and full of carbohydrates. So my Mom made egg sauce on toast— don't knock it 'til you try it. It looks like the weather for the next week is going to be equally as gloomy as today, so I thought I'd post the egg sauce recipe so you can have a nice rainy-day lunch, too!

Egg Sauce

Here's what you need:
1 cup of milk
1 tablespoon of butter
1 tablespoon of flour
a dash of salt and pepper
2 hard-boiled eggs (boil eggs for 5-7 mins)

Stir together milk, butter, flour, salt and pepper. Heat until thick and creamy. Chop boiled eggs and add to the sauce. Spread over toast. Serves 3-4.

After lunch, I taught my Dad how to edit some photos for his blog, Trix4U Entertainment, using 'Photoshop Elements'. He got the hang of it eventually, haha. Check it out to see some of his photos from his trip to Paris in the spring.

What do you do on rainy days?

2 comments:

redhaireddesigner said...

oh man, cookies on these cold days are amazing! good call!

Tom|Collver said...

I love Cookies...