9/5/10

The Week in Review

I've had quite a busy week— although I seem to have spent much of it sitting around at home on my computer.

As I mentioned last week, I had an interview in Toronto on Monday. I thought it went pretty well, actually. It was definitely an encouraging experience to say the least. My interviewer had many good things to say about my work and that has helped me to be a bit more confident in sending my portfolio out to different agencies.

A lot of my week has been spent searching for job postings online, writing up cover letters and sending out my digital portfolio. I know I'll find a job somewhere, but my no money situation is making me a bit nervous. I am blessed to have parents that are lending me money to live on, but I am not too happy about getting DID (deeper in debt).

On Tuesday, I met with Mel and Kayla at Tim Horton's for some much needed catch-up time and general girl talk. Mel is getting ready to head across the pond for law school in London. She's been trying to get through her reading list and get caught up on English law. Kayla is training for a marathon coming up in October. I am super jealous of her dedication to running… and her runner's legs haha. She's suggested I join up with 'The Running Room', which is the group she runs with. I think I will! There's a 5K group coming up in October.

Wednesday, I met with lovely Laura to do some thrift shopping at my local Value Village, where I used to work. I always find a few things I like at the thrift shop and I was certainly not disappointed on this trip. I'll let you check out her awesome blog for more details.

Then the birthday celebrations began! Kayla's birthday was Thursday, so the Posse got all dolled up for a delicious dinner at Milestone's. I haven't spent much time with the whole Posse together since I've been back, so it was really nice to sit and enjoy their company.

Friday was Mel's birthday, so the Posse got all dolled up again!

—But first, I visited Laura at her condo downtown (which I haven't seen yet). It's really nice, actually! We had a soak in her building's hot tub, grabbed some delicious Pizzaolo and had a good ole chin-wag. It must be so nice to be right downtown, in the middle of the city, close to everything, including hundreds of graphic design jobs. *sigh*

Later that evening, I made my way to Mel's friend's apartment for the par-tay. Except when I reached the address Mel had given me… nobody was there. Having no cell phone, I scrounged for change in my wallet and skipped across the street to use the pay-phone… which was broken. I walked up and down the block a couple of times, but there was no trace of my friends. After about 15 minutes, Jason showed up. We walked down to one of the main streets and a very kind stranger let me use his iPhone to call Mel's cell phone… which she didn't answer… so I left a message. Jay and I walked out to Queen Street where, luckily, we bumped into one of Mel's friends who was also on her way to the apartment. Mel must have given us the wrong address! A few doors down from where I had been waiting half an hour earlier was Mel's friend's apartment! Anyway, pretty soon everyone else arrived and we got the party started!

Mel played some music that we first heard in the UK and we danced up a storm… but that was nothing compared to the moves we pulled when, donning glow-stick bracelets, we got to 'Play'– a latin gay club. Of course, we didn't get there until after midnight… in true Melody fashion. Anyways, I had a great night! They played salsa remixes of all the top 40 stuff we all love to dance to! We met some drag queens, danced with a topless man and learned some spicy dance steps from some Latin dudes. We spent most of the night up on the stage! I am really glad I chose my flat shoes over my pumps because I was on my feet the whole time.

We crashed at around 4 am on Mel's friend's apartment floor, completely pooped from dancing. Some of our group were feeling a little worse for wear, so we were very happy to make our way to Fran's for breakfast. It was fried eggs, bacon and… poutine all round.

Today (Sunday), I began my church search. Today, I checked out Heise Hill Church, which is a Brethren in Christ church about a 20 minute drive from my house. I chose this church because it broadcasts sermons from 'The Meetinghouse', a church I attended while at university. I really enjoyed the teaching! Today, a guest speaker addressed the issue of the contrast between the violent God of the Old Testament and the loving, gentle God of the New Testament. I'm not sure I'll stick to this church though. I have a few more on my list that I want to suss out.

Well, tomorrow's Labour Day… I'm going to see if I can convince my parents to take me to the CNE!

No comments: