4/4/10

The greatest day in history, Death is beaten You have rescued me Sing it out Jesus is alive— Steve Fee

Happy Easter! He is Risen! Today, we celebrate the day Jesus rose from the dead, overcoming sin and Satan! woot! How did you celebrate?

I started on Friday. Aussie and I enjoyed a lovely lunch at the local French café before heading down to the Good Friday service at Oasis.  It was great. We did a bit of worship, which I really love at Oasis, because it's quite open. In between worshiping God through singing, the band plays background music and people can speak as they feel led. People often read a bit of Scripture that they feel is relevant, or pray out loud. Some people even describe a picture or a message they are given by God. I love to hear what God is saying through the different people in the congregation. After the worship, we had a bit of a picnic, sitting on the ground with our friends.

A lot of young families came, because after we ate, we watched a film called 'The Miracle Maker'. It's a claymation film that shows Jesus' life from the beginning of his to his death, resurrection and return to heaven. It was pretty good, actually. The animation changed to illustrate one of Jesus' parables or to show a flashback. The film is voiced by famous Brits like Ralph Feinnes, David Thewlis and Ian Holm and 'Satan' is voiced by an American (which is interesting, since in many Disney films, the 'baddie' is British… like Aladdin, The Lion King, Peter Pan…). But, the most important part of the film was that it was true to the Gospels. It explains clearly how Jesus is the Son of God and how he came to earth, fully man, fully God. It shows some of his perfect teaching about how God wants us to live and follows Jesus all the way to his death, where he dies for all mankind. Jesus dies bearing the weight of everything humanity has done that is against God's will — and everything humanity will do in the future. He forgives us of everything we've done and everything we'll ever do. We are okay with God because of Jesus' sacrifice. All we have to do is thank God and trust Him to take control of our lives.


 Yesterday was lovely and sunny again, so I took a loooong walk. I went in to King's Heath to buy some nude tights, because it's getting too spring-y out to wear my black ones. Then, I took a stroll into Moseley to visit Oxfam and then, I headed down to Cannon Hill Park, where I enjoyed seeing all the Canada Geese swimming around the ponds. I got myself a cup of tea and sat in the Tea Room to read for a while. Now that I've finished 'Affluenza', I needed something new and exciting to read. I picked up 'Safely Home' and it has been pretty difficult to put down.

Last night, I stayed in to babysit, so I rented 'The Passion of the Christ', which I have never seen before. It is intense. I feel like because I often say or hear 'Jesus died for my sins', I become somewhat numbed to the idea, like how 'experts' say kids are numbed to violence because they watch so much of it on TV. I liked 'The Miracle Maker' because it was very true to Scripture and told a lot of Jesus' story. But I liked 'The Passion' because it just provided such a vividly gruesome account of Jesus' last hours. I had to look away at times, because I was completely disgusted by the bloody images on screen that were often worse than any horror movie I've seen (mind you, I am not one to watch many horror movies). It is incredible to try and understand that my God loves me and all of his children so much that he became human and went through beatings, whippings and crucifixion so that we can all be reconciled with Him. (Don't worry, the clip I've provided isn't anything gruesome. This scene is the final scene in the film; Jesus has been resurrected and is about to go out and show Mary Magdalen that he has conquered death).


This morning, I got all dressed up in my Easter dress (purchased from Oxfam) and went to church— it was a party! There was singing and clapping and lots of laughing, too. It was a celebration of the resurrection, Oasis style. I had another picnic meal at the church before returning to Moseley to have a lovely Easter lunch with The Englands and The Mum's parents, who are visiting. It's been nice (but I wish I had a few of those Snickers easter eggs, haha).

Peace out!

1 comment:

Tom|Collver said...

amen :) Love ya!!