4/19/10

Babysitting and… I Love Roller Coasters!

Friday night, I had a babysitting job with the kids next door. There are 3 boys, all with awesome Scottish names, aged 14, 13 and 7. The older ones, being teenage boys, spent our first couple of hours in their rooms playing computer games. So, I got out my awesome tat-kit and made custom tattoos with 7. He LOVED them! I had to stop him after his 6th tattoo because I wasn't sure his mum would be too happy if he had full sleeves. I applied quite a few tats myself… some pink paw-prints, a bunch of stars, a rainbow stegosaurus and a little blue icthus (Jesus fish). After 7's bath, 13 and 14 invited us both to play a game of footy with them. Well… they played football and I stood on the sidelines, kicking at any stray shots. It was so nice that they tried to include me! After football, we played on their trampoline. I'm sure having me bouncing them around was fun for them, since I probably weigh, like, 50 pounds more than the heaviest of them! I haven't been on a trampoline in ages— it was so much fun!

Saturday was a big day! I picked up Aussie at 9 and we drove to nearby theme park: Drayton Manor.  We met up with our friend Gordie and some of her buddies to celebrate her birthday! Now, I am a lover of rollercoasters, so I was excited to get on all the big rides… but the others were hesitant. They weren't scared, however, to go on the log-flume ride! That was the 2nd ride of the day… and I wore jeans. So, needless to say, it took the rest of the day for me to dry off! We had some very American-tasting fried chicken for lunch and some ice-cream cones for dessert. I had to go on 'Apocolypse' (like the 'Drop Zone', except for this one tilts you forward!) and 'G-Force' by myself, but I did get some of the other girls on 'Pandemonium' (like 'Jet Scream')! It was a great day— but it made me miss Wonderland! And for some reason, my body ACHED the next day from hanging upside down!

On Sunday, I went to church in the morning. At the moment, we are going through the book of Esther. We read through chapter 4, in which Esther's uncle Mordecai asks her to go before her husband, King Xerxes, to plead him to save the nation of Israel from genocide. At first, she is afraid to go before the king, but Mordecai asks "Who knows if perhaps you were made queen for such a time as this?" So, the message focused on each individual in the congregation being in our unique places so God can use us where we are now, not int he future.

After church, I went shoe shopping in the city centre with Aussie. We were there for, like, 3 HOURS and I DIDN'T BUY ANYTHING!!!!! Frustrating. I did decide on a pair of Tom's… but they didn't have them in my size!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

About Tom's... i know the company well, as they do work in Ethiopia... but... i mean... am i the only person who sees that the shoes are ugly? With a CAPITAL "U". Great cause... but we're sending our unwanted, most likely ugly shoes to the poor of the world and then us ourselves wearing hideous child's slippers around town? Not to be all fashionisto and ridiculous... but it's not that hard to make nice shoes. Hundreds of companies are doing just fine.

sarahtp said...

I did try them on and they aren't ugly. Yes, when they are just sat there by themselves they look like slippers, but they look fine on feet— better than Crocs, anyway.