6/7/11

Playing Catch-Up

May was such a busy month for me! I can't believe how much went on. It seems like I've had such a dull Winter of cuddling up with my beloved radio, avoiding the wind and rain. But with the lush green leaves and colourful blooms of spring came a series of wonderful events!

Wednesday, May 11

On May 11, my Dad and I woke up at about 2:30 am to help out at a very special event at Pearson International Airport: Dreams Take Flight. This organization puts together an annual one-day trip to Disney World in Orlando for socially, mentally and physically disadvantaged kids! As the children arrived at the airport, they were greeted with giant blow-up balloons of Disney characters, cheery music, tasty breakfast, free giveaways, the RCMP and clowns such as my Dad and I. We made balloons for the kids and it was so great to see them getting so excited about their trip!

It was exciting morning for me too! My Dad and I met Susan Hay from Global News as well as my childhood hero, Loonette the Clown from The Big Comfy Couch. We met some RCMP officers and picked up a pair of free Crocs each.
The coolest part of the morning was when they opened the airplane hangar door to reveal the airplane and a half-dozen SWAT team members descended on ropes from the ceiling. It was awesome!

If you want to find out more about how to support Dreams Take Flight, please click here!


Wednesday, May 18

The following Wednesday was a very exciting day for me indeed! I FINALLY got to see Adele in concert! I raced home after work to get dressed! I wore a very Adele-like ensemble: a black, 60's inspired shift dress, black ballerina flats and simple accessories. As always, I had awesome hair, too.

Anyway, I headed downtown right after work, but I didn't really have enough time to meet my friends Andrew, Ari and Hannah for dinner, so I wandered up and down Front St deciding where to eat. I randomly bumped in to Julie, one of my childhood neighbors and she invited me to eat with her and her boyfriend. It was really nice to swap stories and catch up!

I arrived at the ACC shortly after Adele's opener, 'The Civil Wars', had started their set. They were pretty good. They have beautiful harmonies and great voices... but a lot of their songs sounded very similar.

Adele was spectacular. As I have experienced from her live videos on YouTube, she is (if you can believe it) even better live than on her album. She sang many of the songs off '21', and also 'Make you Feel My Love' and some other covers. She was spectacular. For many of her numbers, her raw and powerful, yet heart-breakingly sensitive voice was accompanied only by soft piano or acoustic guitar, and that's all she needed. Talent like hers requires no auto-tune or production techniques to clean it up. One of my favourite moments was when she did 'Don't You Remember', which is my favourite song off her new album. Another was when she giggled about all of her 'sausage dog' printed belongings, such as her mug and stool.


My only criticisms of the show are in relation to the venue and the other concert-goers. First off, the ACC is far too big a venue for Adele, even when cut in half. She is much better suited to a more intimate space, where she can connect more closely with her audience. And Secondly, the people sitting in my section were LAME! We were right in front of the stage, less than 100 feet from Miss Adkins and they refused to stand up! I wanted to get up and sway to the music, and dance to her more upbeat numbers like 'Rumour Has It' and 'Rolling in the Deep'. I wanted to raise my hand in the air as I shouted along to 'Someone Like You'. But I felt quite out of place as the saddoes in my section remained with their bums on their hard, plastic stadium seats.

Stay tuned for more about the clothing swap I attended recently as well as my trip to Istanbul!

2 comments:

Beth said...

i have been WAITING to hear your thoughts on the Adele show. thanks for sharing.

and now i will wait on istanbul :D

Bob said...

I think that people sitting quietly is a Toronto thing. Some times Leafs, Argos and Blue Jays games are like a funeral. Even when they are winning.
Toronto need to get up and dance!!!