5/9/11

Mother's Day Hike

Happy Mother's Day, Mom! I love you!

This Sunday, my family had a Mother's Day celebration that hearkened back to the mid-nineties, when my brother and I were just little. A favourite family outing in those days was a nature hike at one of the many local conservation areas around Newmarket.

So after church, we packed a picnic lunch of sandwiches, granola bars and carrot sticks, filled our water bottles and headed out to Thornton Bales to enjoy the beautiful sunshine. It was fun to point out the different fowers and trees along the way. We saw quite a few Trilliums, both white and red, but in a few weeks, they'll be blanketing the ground. We saw some ferns, too, with their curly fiddleheads. At one point, my Brother, my Dad and I climbed a very steep hill, only to find more forest at the top!


My brother picked up a couple of sticks along the way, at first using them as swords, smacking any trees or long grass in his way. Eventually, he used the sticks as nordic walking poles, which was pretty funny to me, since he previously turned down the use of my parents' poles, which were left in the car. 


I think everyone had a pretty good time that afternoon-- my Dad kept mentioning how it reminded him of his childhood, exploring the bush around his farm with his sisters as a kid. 


It really was a beautiful day! The sky was a soft blue, the grass was lush and green and we could hear some of the local birds singing high above us. I thought "it's time to read 'Anne of Green Gables'". I read 'Anne' about this time last year, and it really made me appreciate the beauty of a sunny day.

We kinda went off the trail at one point, getting slightly lost, but we eventually found our way back to the car. It was a pretty good workout, and the sun really took a lot out of us. I think everyone but my Mom took a long nap that afternoon!


No comments: