2/15/11

Music Awards Shows

Hi there.

So, like many of you out there, I watched the Grammys on Sunday night. I really did enjoy it. I'm a huge fan of live music in general, so I appreciate how the Grammys has become about showcasing some of the best musical talent of the last year. I genuinely enjoyed ALL of the performances. I know that's a very broad statement to make, and my 15-year-old classic rock-loving self would be wide-eyed at my appreciation of Eminem and Lady Gaga, but it's true. Obviously, I had my favourite performances.

I loved the opening number, a tribute to Aretha Franklin, featuring Florence Welch, Jennifer Hudson, Martina McBride, Christina Aguilera and Yolanda Adams. I really liked that they took artists from so many different genres who were all inspired by the Queen of Soul. Xtina was a little much for me, but I loved Florence's take on 'Think' and oh man— that Yolanda Adams can wail! I didn't really know who she was before this performance, but I've since done a little research on her. She's a very well-known Gospel singer. She was great.


Another of my favourite performances was the collaboration between BOB, Bruno Mars and Janelle Monae. First of all, these are the artists that brought us 'Just the Way You Are', 'Marry You', and 'Beautiful Girls'… well… atleast BOB and Mars did. To be honest, I also had not heard of Monae until the Grammys, but she was pretty great too. I liked her confident, yet slightly jerky stage presence. And her music is soulful. My favourite part of this performance was Bruno Mars' doo-wop version of 'Grenade'— which was 100 times better than the original.


Anyway… there was an award show happening tonight in London, England that is much more interesting to me… only because, as you all know, I am slightly obsessed with British music and I listen to BBC Radio 1 every day. Unfortunately, the Brits don't air on any of the channels provided by our tv package, so I am stuck experiencing the Brits via video clips after the fact. I have already had a peek at a few of my favourite artist's performances.

Adele was stunning. Even though she stood on the stage with only a piano and some falling glitter, she just commanded the attention of the whole room. She just puts so much emotion into her music. If I could sing like anyone, I tell ya.

Mumford & Sons, who played at the Grammys, also had a beautiful, slightly more intimate performance at the Brits. I missed seeing the drummer and bass player go insane on the chorus, but the vocal harmonies we just gorgeous. I couldn't find the code to embed the video on my blog, but you can see it here. You can also see Plan B, Jessie J (which is pretty impressive), and Ellie Goulding and Tinie Tempah.

…and apparently the Brits are going to air on Much Music on Wednesday night at 8. Be there.



No comments: